The Animal Care Facility at the Faculty of Science of Beirut Arab University was established in 2012 and renovated at 2017 to promote experimental research and to cater to the needs of research investigators working with small animal models like rodents. The animal facility is comprised of a breeding room and handling facilities with allied laboratories within the department all together dedicated to research and teaching. Besides, animal care facility includes a fully equipped surgery (dissection and/or recovery room) with the standard climate controlled conditions. Animals that can be accommodated include mostly rodents. All animal research conducted within the animal facility are overseen by the BAU Animal Ethics Committee and the animals and facilities are regularly monitored to ensure welfare standards are maintained at the highest possible level.
As such, the animal care facility is able to support a wide variety of research interests with a current emphasis on animal production, welfare, nutrition, and biomedical research.
Infrastructure of the Laboratory
Individual separate cages of different sizes supplemented with water bottles, Special ventilation and aeration system, Conventional lighting system.
Animal research and animal research facilities are critical to the biomedical research enterprise.
- In vivo pre-clinical trials: where animal species are used in every stage of the research and development effort-from discovery, to development and safety testing, to clinical trials, and to manufacture-because their biological systems, genetic structures, and immunological responses, in various ways, closely mirror ours as a species.
- Carry out research experiments by testing the effects of various chemicals, drugs, and complexes on the experimental animals.
- Evaluating the therapeutic, protective, or even toxic and lethal effects of the tested drugs on the experimental animals (rats or mice).
- Creation and development of specific disease/disorders animal models.
- In addition to meeting the needs of our postgraduate students and researchers, the Animal House Facility can be outsourced to other research institutes.