Procedures for Students to Set-up an Internship - Independent Study
- If you were unable to be selected for the internship by the site, complete an Independent Study Form in June (before the summer training) and submit it to your faculty advisor.
- The department’s chair will also need to sign the form after it is completed. The form is then submitted to the Registrar's Office to officially enroll in the internship for course credit.
- Prior to start of the internship, the faculty supervisor will provide a syllabus that addresses topics such as identifying and assigning readings and the required academic components of the study (e.g., journal, paper). Readings and other assignments must provide a theoretical basis for the academic integrity and integration of the internship experience.
- The intern typically will be able to meet with their faculty supervisor during week 7 and week 8 of the summer semester to discuss the internship experience.
- The intern must notify the faculty supervisor immediately of any concerns about the internship.
- At the end of the Independent Study (end of summer semester), the faculty supervisor will be asked to complete a Student Evaluation Form.
- The intern must register the internship course in the Fall semester that follows the internship period (Summer semester)