Dr. Karim received his PhD from German University in Cairo, New Cairo, Egypt, in 2010 under the channel system and joint supervision scheme between German University in Cairo and Johann Wolfgang Goethe-University Frankfurt, Germany).
Currently, Dr. Karim is an Associate Professor at the Faculty of Pharmacy in Beirut Arab University and a coordinator of the Institutional Review Board.
He worked as a Postdoctoral Associate at the Faculty of Pharmacy and Biotechnology in German University, Egypt.
He is also a visiting scientist to Johann Wolfgang Goethe-University, Germany.
Dr. Karim investigated the pharmacological effects of natural polyphenolics isolated from various medicinal plants. He is also involved in the development of drugs that are currently in clinical trials for treatment of diabetes and stiff baby syndrome.
Dr. Karim published more than thirty peer reviewed journal articles and presentations in scientific conferences. His publications reflect his research interests in Phytotherapy.
He was honored several national and international awards.
Drug discovery: Following bioactivity directed fractionation of medicinal marine organisms and plants.
• Natural Products Chemistry, Pharmacology and Toxicology.
• Diabetes and related complications.
• Isolation and structural elucidation of new natural compounds of promising biological activity applying the conventional method of chromatographic analysis and new techniques of spectroscopy.
• Ligand gated ion channelopathies (wild and mutants).
• Hereditary neuronal diseases.
• Isolation and structural elucidation of biologically active polyphenolics and Saponins.
• Quality control of herbal drugs (HPLC, LC-MS, MS and NMR).
• Plant and Marine Biotechnology affecting Proliferation and Differentiation of Stem Cells.
1. H.-G. Breitinger, U. Breitinger, D. Youssef, Karim Raafat and L. Youssef "Extracts from sponge Amorphinopsis species and their use for treatment of various disorders". Brit. UK Pat. Appl. (2013), GB 2500423 A 20130925” GENEVA, Patent No. WO/2013/140364 (WO2013140364 A1) was published on September 2013
F. Saleh, N. El-Darra, and Karim Raafat "Red sour cherry for the treatment of diabetes mellitus". Bioactive Food as Dietary Interventions for Diabetes 2nd Edition. El-Sevier, France. ISBN: 99780128138229. DOI: 10.1016/B978-0-12-813822-9.00033-3 January 2019
• UNESCO Research Project Funding Award "MAPPING OF ECONOMICALLY IMPORTANT MEA PLANT SPECIES IN JABAL MOUSSA RESERVE", 2014. UNESCO, LEBANON.
• Research Funding Award TO DR. KARIM M. RAAFAT, 2014. BEIRUT ARAB UNIVERSITY (BAU), LEBANON.
• Research Funding Award TO DR. KARIM M. RAAFAT, 2014. INTEGRATED PHARMA SOLUTIONS ( IPS) HOLDING, LEBANON.
• Research Funding Award TO DR. KARIM M. RAAFAT, 2013. INTEGRATED PHARMA SOLUTIONS ( IPS) HOLDING, LEBANON.
• Postdoctoral Researcher, Research Grant to Prof. Dr. Hans-Georg Breitinger (HGB) and Dr. Ahmed Ihab, 2010-2013, Science and Technology Development Fund (STDF), Egypt.
• Awarded GUC/DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) Ph.D. Channel Scholarship to Johann Wolfgang Goethe-University Frankfurt, Germany (July, 2009).
• Investigator research grant to HGB, 2008-2010, Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG), Germany.