Mayssah El Nayal is a graduate of the Psychology Department, Faculty of Arts, Alexandria University in 1981. She obtained her MA in Psychology from the same Department in 1985, followed by a PhD in Psychology. Her main interests of research are focused on Personality, Clinical Psychology and Positive Psychology, Health Psychology and Woman Psychology. She has published many studies and research papers in both English and Arabic, and has produced a number of important books in the field.Professor El-Nayal has established a Psycho-Social Counselling Unit In Beirut Arab University. She developed a number of Diplomas in the Faculty of Human sciences such as Women Studies Diploma and the Teaching Diploma .. among others. Also, she developed a master degree in clinical psychology in 2017.
1. Fuzzy cognitive map as a powerful exploratory method in studying the psychological causal assessment: case study of stress, psychological hardiness and anxiety (----) in press. Psychological Reports.
2. Fuzzy item analysis of psychological scales: Case study of Beck’s Depression Inventory (----) in press.
3. Pain Syndrome among Lebanese and Kuwaiti university students.(----) (in press)
4. Optimism,self efficacy and some variables of positive psychology as predictors of health behavior(----) (in press)
5. Internet Addiction and its Relationship to Some Personality and Psychological Variables among a Sample of University Students in Lebanon (-----)Social Science Bulletin – Kuwait
6. Symptoms of Menopause and their Relationship to Neuroticism among Lebanese and Egyptian Women. Journal of Social Sciences ,46(3),42-64.
7. Suicidal thoughts , attempts and motives among University Students in 12 Muslim-Majority countries ,Psychiatric Quarterly,2018 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11126-018-96134.
8. Mental health and its relation to self efficacy among a sample of employees working with special education children. The 1rst International Interdisciplinary Congress on Behaviour Health ,21-22 November 2018 , held in Qatar University.
9. Quality of life and wellbeing among Palestinian and Syrian refugees in Lebanon. The first International conference on Urban Health & Wellbeing , 23-25 October 2018 , held at Beirut Arab University , Lebanon.
10. Death Anxiety in Lebanese College Students in 1998 and 2019 . Death Studies, 42.
11. Happiness and self-efficacy among University students from Egypt and Lebanon (2018). Journal of Social Sciences, 46,82-108.
12. Love of life in 8 developed and developing countries . The first international conference on Urban Health & Wellbeing, 23-25 October 2018, held at beirut Arab University , Lebanon.
13. Quality of life and its relation to insomnia among a sample of Lebanese undergraduates, Sleep Medicine and Disorders: International Journal 1(1),1-6, Doi:10.15406/smdij. 2017.01.0001
14. Satisfaction with life among young adults in four Arab countries(2015) (---) in press. Psychological Reports ,117,931-939
15. Human values and ethical questioning in health care services: Implications for professional training and experience. Paper presented in the Conference of Health and Illness: A Psychological Perspective .Beirut Arab University, 2-3rd of March 2015.
16. Insomnia among university students and employees (2014). Journal of Education and Psychological Studies -Sultan Qaboos, 8,377-391.
17. Mental health and some variables of positive psychology: A study on Palestinians, Syrian, and Lebanese women in Lebanon. Paper presented in: The International Conference on Positive Aspects of Life, held at Beirut Arab University in the period 10-12th of December 2013.
18. Mental health and its relationship to self-efficacy –A comparative study between Kuwait and Lebanese University students. Paper presented at The Fifth International Conference of Social Sciences – Kuwait University in the period 11-12 of February 2013.
19. Self-concept among Lebanese and Kuwaiti students. International Conference of Faculty of Humanities. Kuwait University. 13-15 February 2012.
18. Self-esteem among college students from Four Arab Counties. Psychological Reports. Vol. 10, 2012. pp. 297-303.
20. Love of Life in Two Samples of Kuwaiti and Lebanese College Students: A Study of Positive Psychology. Social Science Bulletin. University of Kuwait. Vol. 31, 2010.
21. Achievement Motivation and its relationship to both anxiety and extraversion among Lebanese students in secondary schools, accepted paper in The International Conference of Education and Educational Psychology held in Kyrenia , Cyprus 2-5 December 2010.
22. “Identity crisis through adolescence, cross-sectional study of adolescents. “First Annual Conference on “Survey Research in the Gulf: Challenges and Policy Implications”, Doha, Qatar from February 27 to March 1 , 2011
23. Mental Health among university students (A comparative study between Lebanon and Kuwait) Conference of Mental Health and Sociology, Kuwait University, April 2011.
24. Love of life in two samples of Kuwaiti and Lebanese college students: A study on positive psychology. Kuwait University: Annals of Arts and Social Sciences, 2010
25. Psychometric Properties and Confirmatory Factor Analysis of the Obsessive Compulsion Symptoms Scale in A Sample of Kuwait University Students. Journal of Educational and Psychological Sciences, University of Bahrain, 2009
26. Love of life among Lebanese University students: A study in Positive Psychology. The World congress on Positive Psychology, Philadelphia, 20 June2009
27. “Dimension of Depression and its Relation to Self-esteem among Qatari Students”. Social Science Bulletin – Kuwait. 2008
28. Some variables of positive psychology among old age (2008).Conference of CNRS –AUB –Lebanon
29. “Fear of Cancer and its Relation to Personality Traits”. Social Science Bulletin – Kuwait. 2007.
30. Some emotional variables among children with and without speech disorders: A comparative study between Egyptian and Qatari societies. The First International conference “the child between the mother language and the communication with the century". Conference held in Doha-State of Qatar, February 2007.
31. Meaning of life and love of life among female cancer patients: A comparative study. Regional Conference of Psychology: The Egyptian Psychologists’ Association (EPA), held in Cairo, November 18-20, 2007.
32. “Psychosomatic Symptoms and their Relation to the Obsession with Death”. (2006). Arabic Studies in Psychology. 5,485-500.
33. Blood groups and personality in Egyptian samples. Arabic Studies in Psychology, 2004, 3(1), 5-15.
34. Personality traits of physicians and surgeons. Derasat Nafseyah, 13(1), 43-58,2003
35. Achievement motivation and its relation to death anxiety among Qatari students. Derasat Nafseyah, 12(3), 383-395,2002
36. Birth order and its relation with extraversion, neuroticism, age of menarche and puberty, and family size.(2002). Arabic Studies in Psychology, 1(3), 11-33
37. Achievement Motivation and Death Anxiety among Qatari Students. (2002).Psychological Studies.3, 11-33.
38. Differences between doctors in some personality traits.(2002).Drassat Nafseya,13,43-58.
39. Variance of some personality variables among managers in the governmental and private sectors in the Qatari community. Journal of Psychology, Cairo ,56,58-91,1999
40. Efforts of psychological studies in combating old age: An analytical study. (Reference research submitted to the Permanent Scientific Committee for promoting staff members).
41. Shyness and dimensions of personality: A study in the light of gender, age and culture. Alexandria. Daar Almareefa Al Arabia. 1999.
42. Environmental Impact assessment: Socio-Economic study. Pilot project for the sustainable development of submarine Archaeological sites at Qayet Bay Citadel and eastern Harbor, Submitted to UNESCO, Cairo Office, Sept.1999 (Study 1).
43. Environmental Impact assessment: Socio-Economic study on a representative sample of fishermen community in Said-City, Submitted to UNICCO Beirut office , Sept. 2000.
44. Environmental Impact Assessment: Psycho-Socio economic and anthropological study. Pilot project for a suitable development submarine Archaeological sites to Qayet Bay Citadel and Eastern (2002). Harbor, Submitted to UNESCO, Cairo office , October 2000. (Study 2 ).
45. A Study of the analyses conducted on the socio-economic problems facing a sample of the Eastern Harbor Inhabitants , with respect to their attitudes towards the undersea museum project , submitted to UNICCO, Cairo Office , June 2003.
46. Middle age crisis. A comparative study in the Egyptian personality across adulthood. Derassat Nafsya, 2(8), 193-244, 1998.
47. “Some Affective Variables among Addicts in Egypt: A Factorial and Comparative Study”. Journal of Psychology. Cairo, #48, 1998. pp. 66-95.
48. Grief after abortion: A comparative – longitudinal study among three types of abortion. Guidance Journal, Ein Shams University, 8(6), 119-207, 1998.
49. Some psychological variables among different age groups among students in Qatari schools. Conference of Psychology held in Qatar University, 12-13th, May, 1998.
50. “Anger and its Relation with some Personality Variables: A Study among Different Age Groups in the Egyptian and Qatari Societies”. Summary published in The Psychological Guidance Journal. Cairo: Ein Shams University, 1997.
51. Coping with stressful life events and its relation to emotional disorders among Qatari students .Fourth International Conference of Guidance. Ein Shames University, 1997.
52. Psychological Support for families with deaf children .Conference of Deaf Union. Alexandria, 11-13 October 1997.
53. Some interventional programs for the development of some abilities among special education students in special education schools in Qatar. Conference of Early Intervention Programs for Special Education Individuals. Abu-Dhabi, 22-23March, 2007.
54. Some creative abilities among Qatari Adolescents’ .Conference entitled “Role of family, school and society in developing creativity", Faculty of Education, Qatar University,25-28 March, 1996
55. Sensation seeking and its relation to some personality variables. A cross-cultural study in Egyptian and Qatari societies. Conference of Guidance, Cairo, 22-25 December 1996.
56. “Shyness and some Personality Dimensions: A Developmental and Co relational Study” (1996). Summary published in Psychological Studies Journal. Cairo.
57. “Happiness and its relation to some Psychological and Personal Variables among Old Age. (1995). Journal of Psychology. Cairo, 36, 26-37.
58. “Body Image and its Relation with some Personality Variables: A Cross-Cultural Study among Egyptian and Qatari Female Students”. Summary published in Journal of Psychology. Cairo, 1995.
59. Bulimia and neurotic disorders. A Factorial-Clinical study. Journal of Educational Center ,University of Qatar,3(4),11-59,1994
60. “Birth Order and its relation to Social responsibility: A Psychometric Study among Qatari Students. Journal of Psychology. Cairo, 130, 1994.
61. Sleep problems and their relation to some emotional disorder, An empirical study among Qatari university students.(1993). Journal of Educational Research Center, University of Qatar, 2(4), 77-106.
62. The structure of the loneliness scale and its prevalence among school students in State of Qatar .Journal of Psychology, 25,100-117.
63. Locus of control and its relation to ego strength, neuroticism, and extraversion among Qatari students.(1993). Bulletin of the Faculty of Education (10),539-569
64. Hypochondria and its relation to some mechanism formation. (1993). Derasat Nafsya , 23,63-95.
65. Anorexia nervosa and its relation to personality variables.(1992). Derasat Nafseyah, 2, 57-74, in Arabic.
66. “Achievement motivation and its relation to some personality variables among the elementary school-children in Qatar: A factorial and comparative study. (1992). Journal of the Educational Research Center, University of Qatar, 1(2), 167-203.
67. Sleep disorders and its relation to depression, anxiety and obsession. The 8th Conference of Psychology in Egypt, held in 6-8 June, 1992, Al-Azhar University, Cairo.
68. Neuroticism among different age groups of children. The 5th Annual Conference of the Egyptian Child, held in 28-30 April, 1992, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Vol. II, pp. 653-668
69. Type A behavior and its relation to personality dimensions: A factorial study. Journal of the Social Sciences, Kuwait University, 1992, 20(3/4), 9-30.
70. Age of menarche and its relation to personality dimensions among males. The Egyptian Journal of Psychological Studies, 1992, 2, 72-92
71. “Need of Achievement and its Relation with Anxiety and Extraversion”. Psychological Studies. Cairo, 1991.
72. The structure of the menstrual symptom disorder.(1991) Journal of Psychology, (1), 23-73.
73. “Psychosomatic disorders among Children and its Relation with Extraversion and Neuroticism”. Psychological Studies. Cairo, 1991.
74. Psychosomatic disorders among children and its relationship to anxiety and depression The Seventh Conference of Psychology –Faculty of Education – Ein Shams University in the period between 2nd - 4th of September, 1991.
75. “The construction of Children’s Anxiety Scale and its relation to extraversion and neuroticism. (1991) Journal of Psychology (Egypt), 18 & 19, 28-45.
76. Differences in death anxiety among different age groups. (1991).Journal of Psychology, 20, 50-61.
77. Age of menarche and its relationship to some dimensions of personality among girls.(1991). Derassat Nafsya , 1,439-458.
78. Depression among different age groups of children. The 4th Annual Conference of the Egyptian Child, Ain Shams University, Cairo, 27-30 April, 1991, pp. 1053-1076.
79. “Differences between Intensive Care Nurses and Normal Department Nurses in: Death Anxiety, Aggression, Neuroticism and Extraversion, and Depression: A Comparative Factorial Study. (1991). Journal of Psychology. Cairo.
80. Differences in anxiety and depression among patients with rheumatic heart disease and normal. The Fourth Conference of the Egyptian Child, in the period from 27-30 April 1991.
81. The construction of the Menstrual Symptoms Scale (1991). The Journal of Contemporary Psychology (Egypt), 1(1), 23-73.
82. “Differences in State Anxiety and Death Anxiety before and after Surgery” (1991). Journal of Psychology. Cairo
83. “Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and its Relation with each of the Following: Anxiety, Fear and Depression” (1990). Journal of Alexandria University. Alexandria, #38. 543-575.
84. “Differences in Death Anxiety among Different Age Groups from Both Sexes. Journal of Psychology of Cairo. Cairo, 1990.
85. Family and children in an Islamic socialization .Conference of the Islamic Child -Faculty of human Studies, Azhar University-Egypt - in the period 9013 October 1990.
86. Mood changes across a menstrual cycle among unmarried girls .The Sixth Conference of psychology –Mansoura University-Egypt - in the period, 22-24 January 1990.
87. “The construction of a scale to measure the symptoms of menopause.(1990).The Bulletin of the Faculty of Arts and Humanities, Minia University,pp. 79-99.
88. Behavioral modification through learning .Conference on the future of Special Education in Egypt in the period, 28-1/1-2/1990.Center of Studies and Training of special Education.
89. “Menopause and its relation to depression, anxiety and fear in worker and non-worker women (1990). Journal of Psychology (Egypt),13, 14-26.
90. The differences in test anxiety between the freshmen and senior undergraduate students. The Conference of Higher Education in the Arab World, Faculty of Education, Ain Shams University, Cairo, 8-10 July, 1990, Vol. II, pp. 459-480.
91. Prevalence of Dysmenorrhea and its Relation with some Personality Dimensions among Secondary Female Students (in the Village and the City). (1989). Journal of Alexandria University. Alexandria, # 37, 293-361.
92. The differences in anxiety and depression between different age groups of males and females. (1989). Research of the fifth Conference of Psychology in Egypt, Cairo: The Egyptian Association for Psychological Studies, pp. 97-113.
Project with AFEDA
A Coauther Psychological Project with University of Aydin, Turkey