Dr. Osama Mohamed Omar is an Egyptian architect and researcher who is currently working as Associate Professor at the Faculty of Architecture - Design and Built Environment, Beirut Arab University. He achieved his PhD degree in “Nano architecture and Global Warming” in 2012 from Alexandria University, Faculty of Engineering, Egypt. In addition, His Master degree “Advanced daylighting Technology for Sustainable Architectural Design”. He is Concerned for environment protection using innovative of Nanotechnology and simple architectural solutions to limit the global warming effects. He had several researches in Zero Energy and Nanoarchitecture fields. He Published Three Book in Architecture in Germany.
Spring 2015-16 courses
My primary research interest is in the area of building with climate response and energy supply, spanning from components to neighborhoods, from design to operation. The motivation and aim of research is to realize a CO2-neutral built environment that efficiently consumes and produces energy while providing high user comfort. The research is focused on efficient systems that operate in synthesis with architectural and construction, adaptive to the occupants and the exterior climatic conditions. Investigating the principles underlying the design and implementation of such issues concerning the protection of the environment by using innovative technology (like Nanotechnology and Nanomaterial’s) and simple architectural solutions to face global warming by decreasing the emission of energy equipment and reach zero energy, zero carbon building through inventing new materials.
Future Research Directions:
I envision my future research to span across following topics:
1. Adaptive Solar Façade: The Adaptive Solar Facade is a dynamic facade of thin film photovoltaic modules with soft pneumatic actuators for solar tracking and daylight control. This research explores novel methods of building integrated photovoltaic within architectural systems that are energetically productive, but also respond to the desires of building occupants, thereby increasing comfort.
2. Future Cities (Low Energy): The Low Energy Research Module aims to advance the research on Low Energy building systems (cooling, distributed ventilation and dehumidification, lighting) in a highly dense urban context. The integrated design and operation of zero emission buildings. Following the low-energy approach, distributed building service systems will be employed for the environmental management of building space.
Advanced building automation systems and control strategies will be researched for efficient operation by considering changing, dynamic weather conditions and occupancy. The research addresses the building lifecycle from design to operation. This includes approaches on integrated design using building information modeling and optimization, the development of new technical systems to cope with the challenging climate up to strategies of efficient operation supported by sensors and monitoring.
3. Zero Carbon and Zero Energy Design: in this area I will present the principles of Zero Energy Deign in Architecture Specially in Residential Buildings. Housing is a major contributor to CO2 emissions in All World. The construction of new homes offers an opportunity to begin to address this issue. Providing homes that achieve “zero carbon” “zero net- energy” or ‘ energy plus’ standard is becoming the goal more innovative house- builders and energy providers in All World.
- Published Paper ‘Optimization of daylight utilization in energy saving application on the library in faculty of architecture, design and built environment, Beirut Arab University’ in Alexandria Engineering Journal (Q1), accepted (30/10/2018).
- Published Paper ‘Intelligent Building, Definitions, Factors and Evaluation Criteria of Selection’ in Alexandria Engineering Journal (Q1), accepted (18/7/2018).
- Published Paper ‘Towards Eco-neighborhoods, Solutions for Sustainable Development, Construction and Energy Saving Technologies’ in Journal of Architecture and Urbanism (Q2), accepted (30/8/2017).
- Published Paper ‘Zero Energy University Building Energy Performance Evaluation of Faculty of Architectural Engineering in Tripoli Branch’ Architecture & Planning Journal (APJ), which will be published in APJ Volume 23, (ISSN 2079-4096).
- Published Paper ’Nanoarchitecture and Global Warming’ in International Journal of Scientific and Engineering Research (IJSER Journal), which was published in IJSER Volume 3, Issue 10, October 2012,(ISSN 2229-5518).
- Published Paper ‘SQUARES’AND PLAZES’ ROLE IN THE CULTURAL RENAISSANCE OF LEBANON’ in Architecture & Planning Journal (APJ), which will be published in APJ Volume 23, (ISSN 2079-4096).
- Published Accepted Paper Smart nanotechnology to deliver zero carbon Eco-neighborhoods - Case study: neighborhoods of the functional city, “H” building typology on Mediterranean countries ” for Publishing in Eco-Architecture 2016 6th International Conference on Harmonisation between Architecture and Nature In Alicante, Spain which will be in 13-15 July 2016, Selected papers will appear in a special Issue of the International Journal of Sustainable Development and Planning (ISSN:1743-7601; Digital ISSN:1743-761X).
- Published Accepted Paper “ IMPACT OF 3D SIMULATION MODELING ON ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN EDUCATION ” for Publishing in The 1 ST international Conference on Architectural Education under the Title of: Rethinking Architectural Education: Towards A Better Practice (RAE2016) In Beirut, Lebanon which was in 9-11 March 2016 (ISSN No: 2079-4096) Special edition of Architecture & Planning Journal.
- Published Accepted Paper “ATTAINING THE APORPRIATE SIMULATION PROGRAM TOWARDS BETTER ENVIRONMENTAL DECISIONS ” for Publishing in The 1 ST international Conference on Architectural Education under the Title of: Rethinking Architectural Education: Towards A Better Practice (RAE2016) In Beirut, Lebanon which was in 9-11 March 2016 (ISSN No: 2079-4096) Special edition of Architecture & Planning Journal.
- Published Accepted Paper “WAYS OF INNOVATING IN EDUCATION FOR SUSTAINABLE DESIGN PRINCIPLES” for Publishing in The 10 TH World Congress On Engineering Education In Beirut, Lebanon which was in 29/30 October 2015 (978-9953-0-3397-6).
- Published Accepted Paper “ Thermal comfort in Lebanese residential unit case study: costal region in Lebanon ” for Publishing in Energy And Sustainability 2015 6th international Conference on Energy and Sustainability in Medellin, Colombia, which was in 02/04 September 2015 (ISBN978-1-84564-944-9).
- Published Accepted Paper “Paths towards Zero Carbon City Using Nanotechnology Tripoli City Case Study“ for Publishing in World Sustainable Building 14 Conference in Barcelona, Spain, which was in 28/30 October 2014 (ISBN978-84-697-1815-5)
- Published Accepted Paper “ Nanoarchitecture and Global Warming “ in international Conference on Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, January 1-13, 2011 In Nannded, India.
- Published Accepted Paper “ Nanoarchitecture and Global Warming “ in 9th international Conference on The Role Of Engineering Towards A Better Environment Environmental Road Map: From Dream to Reality, December 22-25, 2012 in Alexandria, Egypt.
- Published Master Thesis in LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing “ Advanced daylighting technologies for sustainable Architecture Design“ in Germany (February 6, 2012, ISBN 9783846585061).
- Published PhD Thesis in LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing “ Nanoarchitecture and Global Warming“ in Germany (May 22, 2012,
- Published PhD Thesis in Scholar Press Publishing “ Nanoarchitecture and Global Warming“ in Germany (April 20, 2014, ISBN 9783639709759).
- Published Articles in Bibliotheca Alexandrina, Newsletters Quarterly “ Nanoarchitecture and Global Warming“ in Alexandria, EGYPT, Issue No.14, July 2012 (In English Version and Arabic Version).
- Published PhD Thesis in International Journal of Scientific and Engineering Research (IJSER Journal) “ Nanoarchitecture and Global Warming“ in United states of America (January 12 / 2015, ISBN ISSN 2229-5518).
- Publication PhD Thesis in http://www.nanoarchive.org/Nanoarchitecture and Global Warming, online ID CODE 11872 (13 June 2012).
- Publication Master Thesis in http://alex.academia.edu/ossamamohamedomar ‘Advanced daylighting technologies for sustainable Architecture Design’ (05Jun2012).
- Publication PhD Thesis in http://alex.academia.edu/ossamamohamedomar
‘Nanoarchitecture and Global warming’ (05Jun2012).
- Publication PhD Thesis in http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ossama_Omar ‘Nanoarchitecture and Global warming’ (05Jun2012).
Main Speaker in Public Lectures:
- Invited as main Speaker to give Public Lecture ‘Nanotechnology in Architecture’ for Postgraduate Students in Faculty of Engineering & Technology, Department of Architecture in Amman, Jordan (7/4/2015).
- Invited as main Speaker to give Public Lecture ‘Nanoarchitecture Future Housing’ in Jordan Housing Developers Association in Amman, Jordan (7/4/2015).
- Invited as main Speaker to give Public Lecture ‘Zero Carbon Homes. Thinking about The Environment’ in Faculty of Architectural Engineering, Beirut Arab University in Beirut, Lebanon (18/11/2015).
- Participated in “ Building Energy Modeling Workshop - Tripoli” which take place in Faculty of Architectural Engineering Tripoli Branch, Beirut Arab University at 14h November 2015.
- Participated in “ ABC of Technology Transfer & Innovation in Academia ” which take place in American University of Beirut at 11th May 2015.
- Participated in “ 5th Annual International Summer School: Renewable Energy Technology and Sustainability ” as Students Supervisor which take place in Lincoln School of Architecture, University of Lincoln at 19th July to 2nd August 2 015.
- Participated in “ Workshop of Scientific Research: SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH, TO WHERE? Strategic plan for future Implementation” which take place in Faculty of Architectural Engineering, Beirut Arab University at 26th August 2015.
- Member of Editorial Board / Reviewer`s Team for IRA Publications for INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ADVANCES IN ENGINEERING RESEARCH
e-ISSN : 22331-5152, p-ISSN: 2454-1796.
- Hold Community Service Award from Jordan Housing Developers Association in Amman, Jordan (7/4/2015).
- Win Grant from Green Building Council espana to Participate in World Sustainable Building 14 Conference which was in Barcelona, Spain 28/30 October 2014.