My primary research interest is in the area of building with climate response and energy supply, spanning from components to neighborhoods, from design to operation. The motivation and aim of research is to realize a CO2-neutral built environment that efficiently consumes and produces energy while providing high user comfort. The research is focused on efficient systems that operate in synthesis with architectural and construction, adaptive to the occupants and the exterior climatic conditions. Investigating the principles underlying the design and implementation of such issues concerning the protection of the environment by using innovative technology (like Nanotechnology and Nanomaterial’s) and simple architectural solutions to face global warming by decreasing the emission of energy equipment and reach zero energy, zero carbon building through inventing new materials.
Future Research Directions:
I envision my future research to span across following topics:
1. Adaptive Solar Façade: The Adaptive Solar Facade is a dynamic facade of thin film photovoltaic modules with soft pneumatic actuators for solar tracking and daylight control. This research explores novel methods of building integrated photovoltaic within architectural systems that are energetically productive, but also respond to the desires of building occupants, thereby increasing comfort.
2. Future Cities (Low Energy): The Low Energy Research Module aims to advance the research on Low Energy building systems (cooling, distributed ventilation and dehumidification, lighting) in a highly dense urban context. The integrated design and operation of zero emission buildings. Following the low-energy approach, distributed building service systems will be employed for the environmental management of building space.
Advanced building automation systems and control strategies will be researched for efficient operation by considering changing, dynamic weather conditions and occupancy. The research addresses the building lifecycle from design to operation. This includes approaches on integrated design using building information modeling and optimization, the development of new technical systems to cope with the challenging climate up to strategies of efficient operation supported by sensors and monitoring.
3. Zero Carbon and Zero Energy Design: in this area I will present the principles of Zero Energy Deign in Architecture Specially in Residential Buildings. Housing is a major contributor to CO2 emissions in All World. The construction of new homes offers an opportunity to begin to address this issue. Providing homes that achieve “zero carbon” “zero net- energy” or ‘ energy plus’ standard is becoming the goal more innovative house- builders and energy providers in All World.
4- Teaching Architecture Engineering Education: understanding the essential aspects of architecture teaching and education. Following this, I will present some ideas for support classes in lecture and/lab format and also present my research directions within these areas of emphases through applied of work studio based learning and problem solving based learning.
- Omar, Osama. Near Zero-Energy Buildings in Lebanon: The Use of Emerging Technologies and Passive Architecture. Sustainability 2020, 12, 2267, https://doi.org/10.3390/su12062267
- Omar, Osama (2019) "Intelligent Systems for Functional Improvement of Buildings A case study in an academic context”, International Journal of Environmental Science and Development: Vol. 11: Iss. 2, ISSN: 2010-0264 (Print), DOI: 10.18178/IJESD
- Omar, Osama and Al-Sarrag, Nael (2019) "Impact Of Contaminated Interior Finishing Materials On The Educational Buildings”, BAU Journal - Creative Sustainable Development: Vol. 1 : Iss. 1 , Article 3.
- El-Arnaouty, Hisham; Azab, Nader; and Omar, Osama (2020) "Health And Wellbeing Re-Visited; An Exploratory Study Towards A “Healthy & Wellbeing” University Campus" Architecture and Planning Journal (APJ): Vol. 25: Iss. 1, Article 1.
- Omar, Osama, García-Fernández, B., Fernández- Balbuena, A. Á., & Vázquez-Moliní, D. (2018). Optimization of daylight utilization in energy saving application on the library in faculty of architecture, design and built environment, beirut arab university. Alexandria Engineering Journal, 57(4), 3921-3930. doi:10.1016/j.aej.2018.10.006
- Omar, Osama (2018). Intelligent building, definitions, factors and evaluation criteria of selection. Alexandria Engineering Journal, 57(4), 2903-2910. doi:10.1016/j.aej.2018.07.004
- Omar, Osama (2018). Towards eco-neighborhoods, solutions for sustainable development, construction and energy saving technologies. Journal of Architecture and Urbanism, 42(2), 95-102. doi:10.3846/jau.2018.6141
- Omar, Osama; Sabsaby, Yathreb; and Amro, Rehab (2016) " Zero Energy University Building Energy Performance Evaluation of Faculty of Architectural Engineering in Tripoli Branch " Architecture and Planning Journal (APJ): Vol. 23, ISSN 2079-4096.
- Omar, Osama; Hassan, Bassam; (2015) " Squares’ and Plazes’ Role In The Cultural Renaissance Of Lebanon " Architecture and Planning Journal (APJ): Vol. 23, ISSN 2079-4096.
- Omar, Osama (2017). The Impact of Using Nanomaterials in Lebanese Architecture. Published in Proceeding of ICANM 2017: International Conference & Exhibition on Advanced & Nano Materials, 7-9 August, Toronto, Canada.
- El Sayary, Samer and Omar, Osama (2017). Re- Thinking Courtyard Housing: Development of Traditional Islamic Courthouses into Zero-Energy Buildings. Published in Proceeding of World Sustainable Built Environment Conference 2017 Hong Kong Transforming Our Built Environment through Innovation and Integration: Putting Ideas into Action: 5-7 June, Hong Kong, China.
- Higueras, Ester; Omar, Osama (2016). Smart Nanotechnology to Deliver Zero Carbon Eco- neighborhoods. Published in Proceeding of ECO- ARCHITECTURE 2016 6th International Conference on Harmonisation between Architecture and Nature, 11-13 May, Alicante, Spain. (ISSN:1743-7601; Digital ISSN:1743-761X).
- El Zein, Farah, Omar, Osama, Hage, Nizar. (2016). The Role of Geothermal Energy in Efficient Building Performance Regenerative Geothermal Design to "Eliminate Negative Environmental Impact". Published in Proceeding of REDEC 2016 3rd International Conference on Renewable Energies for Developing Countries, Beirut, Lebanon. (978-1-5090- 1864-2/16/$31.00 ©2016 IEEE)
- Youssef, Maged, Omar, Osama, El Messady, Rania (2016). Impact Of 3D Simulation Modeling On Architectural Design Education. Published in Proceeding of The 1 ST international Conference on Architectural Education under the Title of: Rethinking Architectural Education: Towards A Better Practice (RAE2016) In Beirut, Lebanon which was in 9-11 March 2016 (ISSN No: 2079-4096) Special edition of Architecture & Planning Journal.
- Saidani, Adeeb, Omar, Osama (2016). Attaining The Aporpriate Simulation Program Towards Better Environmental Decisions Published in Proceeding of The 1 ST international Conference on Architectural Education under the Title of: Rethinking Architectural Education: Towards A Better Practice (RAE2016) in Beirut, Lebanon. (ISSN No: 2079-4096) Special edition of Architecture & Planning Journal.
- Omar, Osama; Halabi, Marwan; (2015) Ways of Innovating in Education for Sustainable Design Principles. Published in Proceeding of The 10 TH World Congress on Engineering Education in Beirut, Lebanon, (978-9953-0-3397-6).
- Omar, Osama Sabsaby, Yathreb. (2015) Thermal comfort in Lebanese residential unit case study: costal region in Lebanon. Published in Proceeding of Energy and Sustainability 2015, 6th international Conference on Energy and Sustainability in Medellin, Colombia, (ISBN978-1-84564-944-9).
- Omar, Osama Sabsaby, Yathreb. (2015). Paths towards Zero Carbon City Using Nanotechnology Tripoli City Case Study. Published in Proceeding of World Sustainable Building 14 Conference in
Barcelona, Spain, (ISBN978-84-697-1815-5).
- Published Master Thesis in LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing “ Advanced daylighting technologies for sustainable Architecture Design“ in Germany (February 6, 2012, ISBN 9783846585061).
- Published PhD Thesis in LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing “ Nanoarchitecture and Global Warming“ in Germany (May 22, 2012,
- Published PhD Thesis in Scholar Press Publishing “ Nanoarchitecture and Global Warming“ in Germany (April 20, 2014, ISBN 9783639709759).
- Published Articles in Bibliotheca Alexandrina, Newsletters Quarterly “ Nanoarchitecture and Global Warming“ in Alexandria, EGYPT, Issue No.14, July 2012 (In English Version and Arabic Version).
- Published PhD Thesis in International Journal of Scientific and Engineering Research (IJSER Journal) “ Nanoarchitecture and Global Warming“ in United states of America (January 12 / 2015, ISBN ISSN 2229-5518).
- Publication PhD Thesis in http://www.nanoarchive.org/Nanoarchitecture and Global Warming, online ID CODE 11872 (13 June 2012).
- Publication Master Thesis in http://alex.academia.edu/ossamamohamedomar ‘Advanced daylighting technologies for sustainable Architecture Design’ (05Jun2012).
- Publication PhD Thesis in http://alex.academia.edu/ossamamohamedomar
‘Nanoarchitecture and Global warming’ (05Jun2012).
- Publication PhD Thesis in http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ossama_Omar ‘Nanoarchitecture and Global warming’ (05Jun2012).
Main Speaker in Public Lectures:
- Invited as main Speaker to give Public Lecture ‘Nanotechnology in Architecture’ for Postgraduate Students in Faculty of Engineering & Technology, Department of Architecture in Amman, Jordan (7/4/2015).
- Invited as main Speaker to give Public Lecture ‘Nanoarchitecture Future Housing’ in Jordan Housing Developers Association in Amman, Jordan (7/4/2015).
- Invited as main Speaker to give Public Lecture ‘Zero Carbon Homes. Thinking about The Environment’ in Faculty of Architectural Engineering, Beirut Arab University in Beirut, Lebanon (18/11/2015).
- Participated in “ Building Energy Modeling Workshop - Tripoli” which take place in Faculty of Architectural Engineering Tripoli Branch, Beirut Arab University at 14h November 2015.
- Participated in “ ABC of Technology Transfer & Innovation in Academia ” which take place in American University of Beirut at 11th May 2015.
- Participated in “ 5th Annual International Summer School: Renewable Energy Technology and Sustainability ” as Students Supervisor which take place in Lincoln School of Architecture, University of Lincoln at 19th July to 2nd August 2 015.
- Participated in “ Workshop of Scientific Research: SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH, TO WHERE? Strategic plan for future Implementation” which take place in Faculty of Architectural Engineering, Beirut Arab University at 26th August 2015.
Editorial and Reviewer Experiance:
- Executive Editor of BAU Journal – Creative Sustainable Development, Volume 1, Issue 1, ISSN: 2664-9446.
- Member of Editorial Board / Reviewer`s Team for Journal of Daylighting, ISSN: 2383-8701, Publisher: Solarlits, Cite Score TM 2018: 1.5, SCImago Journal Rank (SJR) 2018: 0.367:
- Member of Editorial Board / Reviewer`s Team for IRA Publications for INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ADVANCES IN ENGINEERING RESEARCH e-ISSN : 22331-5152, p-ISSN: 2454-1796.
- Member of Editorial Board / Reviewer`s Team for International Journal of Environmental Science and Development, ISSN: 2010-0264 (Print), DOI: 10.18178/IJESD, Indexing: Scopus (since 2019), Crossref, ProQuest, EBSCO, etc,
- Reviewer`s Team in International Journal of Architecture & Planning (ICONARP) ISSN: 2147-9380.
- Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=G63baygAAAAJ&hl=en
- Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ossama_Omar
- Academia: https://beirutarab.academia.edu/ossamamohamedomar
- Publons: https://publons.com/researcher/1502861/osama-mohamed-omar/
- Scopus Account: ( ID: 57191960234 ) https://www.scopus.com/authid/detail.uri?authorId=57191960234&eid=2-s2.0-85057086321
- Orcid: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-8334-1059
- Web of Science Researcher ID: AAI-1565-2020
- Staff Mobility for Teaching, Mobility Agreement in JAMIES Erasmus+ International Credit Mobility 2019 Project with University of Minho (P BRAGA01), Portugal, fully funded from JAMIES Erasmus+ + International Credit Mobility programme (from 21th Oct.2019 – 25th Oct.2019)
- Staff Mobility for Teaching, Mobility Agreement in Erasmus+ Project with Politechnika Lubelska, Lublin University of Technology, 20-501 Lublin, uI. Nadbystrzycka 42a, Poland, fully funded from Erasmus+ programme (from 17th Mar.2018- 25th Mar.2018)
- Hold Community Service Award from Jordan Housing Developers Association in Amman, Jordan (7/4/2015).
- Win Grant from Green Building Council espana to Participate in World Sustainable Building 14 Conference which was in Barcelona, Spain 28/30 October 2014.