Makassed General Hospital

Makassed General Hospital was established in 1930 to provide the Lebanese community with quality health care services. It started as a modest two-storey building with 13 doctors and 10 nurses.

During World War II, the hospital served as one of the Lebanese Ministry of Defense medical centers.

In 1941, Makassed Association recovered the Hospital and resumed its operations in community service. In 1949, the hospital building was expanded to five floors and set on its course to become the general hospital it is today. Between 1975 and 1990, MGH pursued its mission in meeting the increasing needs of the community and developed also into a major teaching hospital. The difficult years of the war in Lebanon did not restrain the Hospital from serving the community. On the contrary, the load increased markedly and the Hospital responded at the highest possible standards.

Today, MGH is a 200 patient-bed, full service teaching hospital located in a heavily populated area of Beirut. It is among the top medical facilities in Lebanon and is supported by more than 200 attending and resident physicians and 640 administrative staff. It serves nearly 100,000 inpatients and in excess of 50,000 outpatient visits per year.

The hospital main facility today consists of a six- storey main building with adjacent complementary facilities and outpatient clinics. In addition, six primary health care centers with clinical and primary care services are distributed in the various areas of the city.