Dr. Islam Elkabani received his Ph.D. in Computer Science from New Mexico State University (NMSU), USA in 2007. He worked as a Teaching and Research Assistant during his graduate studies at NMSU. Between 2007 and 2009, he worked as an Assistant Professor of Computer Science and an Executive Director of the Computer Center of the Faculty of Science at Alexandria University, Egypt. He has been a faculty member in the Computer Science Department at Beirut Arab University since September 2009. His research interests include Knowledge Representation, Answer Set Programming, Social Networks Analysis and Mining, Assistive Technologies, Natural Language Processing and Data Mining.
- Instructor of Information Technology in the Health Career Opportunity Program (HCOP), New Mexico State University, USA, Summer 2005.
- Instructor of Robotics Programming in the “Young Women in Computing” Program, Department of Computer Science, New Mexico State University, USA, Summer 2006.
- Member of the Association of Logic Programming (ALP) since 2003
- Participated in revising the new curriculums for the Computer Science and Information Technology programs at Beirut Arab University (Fall 2009)
- Member of the Strategic Planning Committee for the Faculty of Science, Beirut Arab University. Beirut, Lebanon 2010.
- Member of the organizing committee of the 3rd EMUNI Research Souk 2011 (ReSouk 2011), the Euro-Mediterranean Student Research Multi-conference. Beirut, Lebanon 2011.
- Member of the organizing committee of Beirut Arab University Research Day 2012
- Member of the organizing committee of Beirut Arab University Research Day 2013
- Coordinator of the organizing committee of the VEX Robotics Competition workshop, Beirut Arab University (Fall 2012).
- Member of the Quality Assurance Unit of the Faculty of Science, Beirut Arab University (2010 – 2014)
- Coordinator of the Computer Science Program ABET Accreditation Committee, Beirut Arab University (2010 – Now)
- Selected by the Arab Robotics Association to be the Chair of the Judiciary Committee for the 6th Annual Arab Robotics Competition (Spring 2013).
- Member of the Beirut Arab University Committee responsible for preparing the self-assessment report for the FIBAA Institutional Accreditation 2014
- Participated in revising the new curriculum for the Computer Science program at Beirut Arab University 2014
- The Chair of the Design and Programming Committee in the Lebanese National Robotics Competitions in the years 2015 and 2016
- Selected by the Arab Robotics Association to be the Chair of the Design and Programming Committee in the 9th Annual Arab Robotics Competition (Spring 2016)
- A scholarship from the Egyptian Government, 2001
- A teaching & research assistantship from New Mexico State University, New
Mexico, USA, 2002
- Winner of the NM-AGEP Best Poster in Math, Science and Engineering, Las Cruces, NM, USA, 2004
- Winner of the best Science Poster in the Graduate Research and Arts Symposium (GRAS), Las Cruces, NM, USA, 2004
- Winner of the merit-based enhancement award from the New Mexico State University Graduate School for academic year 2005-2006.
- The coach of the Egyptian Team winning the best programming award at the International Robotics Contest (FLL), Atlanta, Georgia, USA, 2008
- Supervisor of the Senior Year Project “MORSHID” the winner of the 3rd place prize in the Global Startup Battle organized by Google Entrepreneurship, USA, 2014