I received my B.Sc. and M.Sc. degrees in Computer Science from Alexandria University. I received the PhD degree on 2008 from the Graduate School of computer science and engineering, The University of Aizu, Japan. Starting in Jan 2009, I worked an assistant professor of computer science in the department of Mathematics and Computer science, faculty of science, Alexandria University. Since Sept 2012, I have been working in the department of Mathematics and Computer science, faculty of science, Beirut Arab University. I worked as an executive manager of Alexandria University Digital Library, Apr 2011 until Aug 2012. I also worked as an executive manager of the Computer Unit, Mar 2010 until Nov 2010, Faculty of Science, Alexandria University. My research interests include parallel algorithm design and implementation, performance evaluation on multi- and many-core processors, resource provisioning and scheduling of cloud computing data centers, parallelizing digital image processing applications.
Refereed International Conferences and book chapters
H. Atwe, A. Zekri, L. Hamandi, R. Zantout. Parallelization of Gradient-based Edge Detection Algorithm on Multicore processors. The Sixth International Conference on Digital Information, Networking, and Wireless Communications. Lebanon DOI: 10.1109/DINWC.2018.8356996. April 2018
S. Rawas, A. Zekri, A. El-zaart. Power and Cost-Aware Virtual Machine Placement in Geo-Distributed Data
Centers. The 8th International Conference on Cloud Computing and Services Science. March 2018.
Salah Al-Shami, Ahmed Zekri, Ali El-Zaart, Rached Zantout. On the Parallelization of Closed-set Patterns Classification for an Automatic License Plate Recognition System. Accepted at the international conference on Sensors, Networks, Smart and Emerging Technologies. September 2017 in Beirut, Lebanon
Rawas, S., Itani, W., Zekri, A., & El Zaart, A. ENAGS: Energy and Network-aware Genetics Scheduling Algorithm on Cloud Data Centers. Accepted for publication in Proceedings of The second International Conference on Internet of Things, Data and Cloud Computing (ICC2017). March 2017.
Salah Al-Shami, Ali El-Zaart, Rached Zantout, Ahmed Zekri, Khaled Almustafa. 'Intelligent Recognition of Closed-Set Characters'. Proceedings of the 22 International Scientific Conference of LAAS “The Social Avenues of Research” Holy Spirit University of Kaslik (USEK), Kaslik, Lebanon, 14 - 15 April, 2016 (Poster)
1Auday Aldulaimy, Wassim Itani, Rached Zantout, Ahmed Zekri. The Effect of Bandwidth Allocation on Power Efficiency in Cloud Data Centers. Proceedings of the IEEE 11th International Computer Engineering Conference (ICENCO), Cairo, Egypt, Dec 2015.
14. Auday Aldulaimy, Rached Zantout, Ahmed Zekri, Wassim Itani. Job Classification in Cloud Computing: The Classification Effects on Energy Efficiency. Proceedings of the IEEE/ACM 8th International Conference on Utility and Cloud Computing, At Limassol, Cyprus, December 2015. (DOI: 10.1109/UCC.2015.97)
15. Ramzi A. Haraty, Sanaa Kaddoura, Ahmed Zekri. Information Warfare: Fighting Back Through the Matrix. Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium Series on Computational Intelligence (SSCI 2015), CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA, December 2015
16. Ahmed Zekri. Restructuring and implementations of 2D matrix transpose algorithm using SSE4 vector instructions. Proceedings of the International Conference on Applied Research in Computer Science and Engineering (ICAR2015), Beirut, Lebanon, October 2015
17. Salah Al-Shami, Ali El-Zaart, Rached Zantout, Ahmed Zekri, Khaled Almustafa. The recognition of the closed-set patterns in the Saudi license plates. Proceedings of the International Conference on Applied Research in Computer Science and Engineering (ICAR2015), Beirut, Lebanon, October 2015
18. S. Rawas, W. Itani, A. Zaart, A. Zekri. Towards Greener Services in Cloud Computing: Research and Future Directives. Proceedings of the International Conference on Applied Research in Computer Science and Engineering (ICAR2015), Beirut, Lebanon, October 2015
19. S. Al-Shami, A. El-Zaart, R. Zantout, A. Zekri, K. Almustafa. A New Feature Extraction Method for License Plate Recognition. Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Digital Information and Communication Technology and its applications DICTAP2015, pp. 64-69, April, 2015 Beirut, Lebanon, April, 2015 (DOI: 10.1109/DICTAP.2015.7113172)
20. Hanadi Atwe, Ahmed Zekri, Lama Hamandi. Parallelizing Sobel Edge Detection Algorithm on a Multi-core processor. 21 st LAAS International Science Conference, Saint Joseph University (USJ), pp. 533-534, Beirut, Lebanon, April 2015 (Extended Abstract)
21. Ahmed S. Zekri. An implementation of matrix transposition using SSE instructions. Proceedings of the 19th LAAS International Science Conference - New Frontiers in Sciences. Lebanese American University, Beirut, Lebanon, April 5–6, 2013 (Poster)
22. Ahmed S. Zekri. Three Dimensional SPMD Matrix-Matrix Multiplication Algorithm and A Stacked Many-core Processor Architecture. Book chapter, Innovations and Advances in Computer, Information, Systems Sciences, and Engineering, Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering, Vol. 152, 1139-1150 , 2013
23. Ahmed S. Zekri. Three Dimensional SPMD Matrix-Matrix Multiplication Algorithm and A Stacked Many-core Processor Architecture. International Joint Conferences on Computer, Information, and Systems Sciences, and Engineering (CISSE 11), University of Bridgeport, USA , Dec 3-6, 2011 (Virtual Conference)
24. Stanislav Sedukhin, Ahmed Zekri and Toshiaki Miyazaki. Orbital Algorithms and Unified Array Processor for Computing 2D Separable Transforms. The 5th International Symposium on Embedded Multicore Systems-on-Chip, in conjunction with the 39th Int. Conference on parallel Processing (ICPP 2010), San Diego, California, USA, September 13-16, 2010
25. Ahmed S. Zekri, Stanislav G. Sedukhin. 2-D Separable Transforms on a Matrix Processor. Proceedings of the ISCA 21st International Conference on Computer Applications in Industry and Engineering, pp. 106-111, CAINE 2008, November 12-14, 2008, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
26. Ahmed S. Zekri, Stanislav G. Sedukhin. Design and evaluation of data-parallel algorithms on a matrix processor. Proceedings of the 1st Egypt-Japan International Symposium on Science and Technology EJISST2008, June 8-10, Tokyo, Japan 2008
27. Ahmed S. Zekri, Stanislav G. Sedukhin: Evaluating the Performance of Basic Linear Algebra Subroutines on a Torus Array Processor. Proceedings of the 7th IEEE International Conference on Computer and Information Technology CIT 2007, pp. 300- 305, Seoul, Korea 2007
28. Ahmed S. Zekri, Stanislav G. Sedukhin. Fine-grained Matrix Multiply-Add on a Torus Array Processor. Proceedings of the ISCA International Conference on Computers and Their Applications CATA07, pp.44-51, USA 2007
29. Ahmed S. Zekri, Stanislav G. Sedukhin. Performance Evaluation of Basic Linear Algebra Subroutines on a Matrix Co-processor. Parallel Processing and Applied Mathematics, 7th International Conference PPAM 2007, LNCS 4967, pp. 1190-1199, September 9-12,Gdansk, Poland 2007
30. Ahmed S. Zekri, Stanislav G. Sedukhin. Matrix Transpose on 2D Torus Array Processor. Proceedings of the 6th IEEE International Conference on Computer and Information Technology CIT 2006, pp. 45, AizuWakamatsu City, Japan 2006
31. Ahmed S. Zekri, Stanislav G. Sedukhin. The General Matrix Multiply-Add Operation on 2D Torus. Proc. of the 20th IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium IPDPS 2006, April 25-29, Rhodes Island, Greece 2006
32. Ahmed S. Zekri, Stanislav G. Sedukhin. Computationally Efficient Parallel Matrix-Matrix Multiplication on the Torus. 6th international symposium, ISHPC 2005, LNCS 4759, pp. 219-226, September 7-9, Nara City, Japan 2005 Technical Reports
33. Ahmed S. Zekri, Stanislav Sedukhin, Blocked Matrix Multiply-Add on 2D Torus, Technical Report 2006-1-002, 16 pages, Oct 2006, The University of Aizu, AizuWakamatsu city, Japan
34. Ahmed S. Zekri, Stanislav Sedukhin, Matrix Transpose on 2D Torus, Technical Report 2005-1-001, 10 pages, Dec 2005, The University of Aizu, AizuWakamatsu city, Japan
Multi-core processors programming: studying the restructuring of existing sequential algorithms in linear algebra applications and image processing to suit the micro-architecture of the general-purpose multi-core processors. Implementing these new algorithms using the OpenMP multi-threading library and the streaming SIMD extensions, such as SSE/AVX, that exist in the processor architecture. Evaluating the performance of the new algorithms and compare with other conventional ones to draw conclusions and delineate future directions.
Cloud computing: Investigating different scheduling algorithms to effectively manage the computing resources in data centers while reducing the energy consumption. The scheduling problem is represented as optimization problems, which are solved using several methods such as multi-choice knapsack, Bin-packing algorithm and genetic algorithms. Different scheduling heuristics are proposed and used to solve the optimization problems.