Prof.Aboul Ela is a graduate of Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Alexandria, Egypt. She has done her Ph.D at Department of Pharmacognosy, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Alexandria in collaboration with Institute for Organic Chemistry, Technical University of Berlin, Germany. Her specialty is phytochemistry and phytotherapy. Currently, she is the head of pharmaceutical sciences department. She has more than fifty publications in national and international journals. She is a peer reviewer and editor in many international journals. She participated in different international conferences. She is a member of the American Society of Pharmacognosy. She has more than 25 years experience in the field of education and research in pharmacognosy, phytochemistry and phytotherapy. She supervises many theses. She is an expert in QA in Higher Education. She awarded a distinguishable peer reviewer from Ministry of Higher Education in Egypt. She has got many awards from order of Pharmacists in Egypt and research at the national level in her specialty. She implemented the QA system at faculty of Pharmacy at BAU, and participated in its establishment at the university level. She started developing the professional pharmacy training at the faculty in 2009. She constructed the students QA Association and the junior research teams of the faculty. She is the QAU director of the faculty and coordinator of the QA committee of the university.
More than 25 years experience in teaching all pharmacognosy courses for junior and senior students. Teaching general and special courses for postgraduate students and elective courses for university students related to the specialty.
1-Discovery of drugs of natural origin that can be used in treatment of various disease.
2- Performing community based research in the field of medical plants to insure the use of these plants to be on scientific grounds.
3- Participation in clinical studies on medicinal plants for discovering of new cytotoxic active drugs.
4- Performing quality control studies on phytopharmaceuticals to insure this quality and safety.
1. ”Chemical Composition, Antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of the ethanolic extract of Micromeria fruticosa Growing in Lebanon” , Mohamad Al-Hamawi, Maha Aboul-Ela, Abdalla El-Lakany, Nassim El-Achi, Noha Ghanem, Bassem El-Hamoul, Youssef Bakkour and Fawaz El-Omar, Int.J.Chem 13(1) 325-335, (2015)
2. "A Role of Antioxidants in the Antidiabetic Potential of Two Indigenous Lebanese Inula Species"
Assi M, Ela MA, Karim Raafat, El-Lakany, Med Aromat Plants, (2015), DOI:10.4172/2167-0412.S2-002.
3. "Anti-inflammatory and Antioxidant Activities of Salvia fruticosa: An HPLC Determination of Phenolic Contents"
Rima Boukhary, Karim Raafat, Asser Ghoneim, Maha Aboul-Ela and Abdalla El-Lakany, Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, (2015) DOI: 10.1155/2016/7178105.
4. "Alloxan-Induced Diabetic Thermal Hyperalgesia, Prophylaxis and Phytotherapeutic Effects of Rheum ribes L. in Mouse Model", Karim Raafat, Maha Aboul Ela and Abdalla El-Lakany, Arch Pharmacal Researches, March 2014 DOI: 10.1007/s12272-014-0372-y.
5. ”A comparative Phytochemical and antimicrobial analysis of Inula viscose and Inula crithmoides grown in Lebanon”, M.Assi, M.A. Aboul Ela, A.M. El-Lakany and M. Abdul-Ghani, Academia Journal of Medicinal Plants 2(4) 57-67 (2014).
6. “Protective effects of Origanum majorana L. against Neurodegeneration: Fingerprinting, Isolation and In vivo Glycine Receptors Behavioral Model" , Karim Raafat, Hassan Jassar, Maha Aboul Ela and Abdalla El-Lakany “,International Journal of Phytomedicine”, May 2013, DOI: 10.5138/ijpm.v5i1.996.
7. "Endogenous Lebanese Plants Treating Diabetes and Related Complications". Karim Raafat, Rima Boukhary, Maha Aboul Ela and Abdalla El-Lakany, Journal of Natural Products Chemistry & Research, August 2013, DOI: 10.4172/2329-6836.1000112.
1- Organizing several meetings with the faculty employees to be prepared for the next stage of faculty enhancements regarding the international accreditation.
2- Attending several meetings under the supervision of the dean to participate in the implementation of the new curriculum and the in process evaluation of the different steps to enhance the intended learning outcomes of the new courses.
3- Performing the different surveys on the students for level 1-level 5- to evaluate the program and the satisfaction of the students regarding facilities and services.
4- Following up and documenting the activities performed by the staff members to improve teaching and learning and encourage the students to be involved in research activities.
5- Improving the awareness about the quality culture among all the students of the faculty.
6- Organizing the meetings of the SQAUA.
7- Training the SQAUA on some QA activities by preparing lectures and workshops to train their colleagues at the different levels.
8- Preparing and organizing the first QA competition between the students of levels 1 to 4.
9- Updating the staff members about the contents of the course files through direct contact with each member.
10- Preparation and completion of the status report.
11- Following up the completion of the courses specifications by the staff members.
12- Filling course reports.
13- Following up the academic support of the students at risk of failure.
14- Stimulating the academic support of the outstanding students through encouraging the staff members to constitute research teams in different disciplines.
15- Activities of faculty academic coordinator.
16- Organizing orientation lecture for the students of the first level about the credit system.
17- Following the clearance of the fifth year students.
18- Organizing workshops to the staff members to train them on the advising procedures and the new rules and regulations of the new university.
19- Following up the advising and registration problems if appear along the completely academic year.
20– Workshop in Qatar.
21– Organizing extracurricular activities.
22– Cooperation with the medical faculties in professional development
23– Participation of the QAU director in Quality Assurance University committee.
24– Participation of the QAU director in seminar about Quality Assurance in Belgium and Cairo
25- Participation of the QAU director in seminar about Quality Assurance in Croatia
26- Participation of the QAU director in seminar about Quality Assurance organized by TEMPUS Lebanon
27- Head of Self Critical Assessment Committee: preparing all the accreditation documents and for the site visit of Canadian Council of Accreditation of Pharmacy Programs.
28-Participation of the Institutional accreditation committee and in preparing for the site visit of FIBAA.
29- The Blackbone of a Quality Assurance System -Workshop 23 June 2014
30. Quality for all event
31- Workshop towared the enhancement of Staff members teaching skills – 10/10/2015
32-Open Doors BAU, 15, 17,22/3/2016
33-Open House BAU 24/2/2016
34-Here seminar: developing internal quality assurance, Islamic university of Lebanon,October 5, 2015.
Committees at Faculty of Pharmacy, Beirut Arab University , Lebanon : (2008 till present) :
• Curriculum Committee
• Professional Pharmacy Training
• Advisory Committee
BAU Committees :
• Research day organization
• University Quality Assurance
• University ‘s Strategy Committee
• Institutional accreditation committee
• University’s Research and Ecology Development at Bekka committee
- Technical Committee of Libnor
Committees at Faculty of Pharmacy. University of Alexandria, Egypt : (1993-2007) :
• Community Service and ecological development
• Instruments and laboratory requirements
• Oral examinations of pharmacognosy board in faculties of Pharmacy in governmental and private universities.
• Students Union, faculty of Pharmacy, University of Alexandria, Chancellor of Assembles activities.
• Microscopes and herbs inspection, Department of Pharmacognosy, faculty of Pharmacy, University of Alexandria
• Distinguishable peer reviewer (Mar 2008 by National Committee for QA and Accreditation, Ministry of Higher Education, Egypt).
• Ideal Pharmacist (Feb. 1998, General Pharmacists’ Syndicate Egypt).
• Best research article in the years (2006-2009) in pharmacognosy among all the specialities of pharmacognosy in Faculties of Pharmacy in all the Egyptian Universities.