Several research topics currently being tackled by researchers in the faculty of engineering fall under this theme. Some specific topics are listed here below.
- New Models and Designs In Artificial Neural Networks. This focuses on new model and design of artificial neurons. After reobserving the newly discovered properties and characteristics of the biological neurons in the field of neuroscience, the conventional artificial models remain far from representing a modern imitation of the intelligent biological organism. New digital designs are under investigation with a combination of memory registers to hold the inputs, outputs and weights. The new unit provides easy design and learning methodologies that will make the design phase very easy to the designer and open the way towards a new dimension in artificial neural networks.
- Simulation, Modeling, and design of RF devices such as transmission lines, power amplifiers, power dividers, antennas, couplers and filters. One of the important work is to model slow-wave transmission line which are transmission lines that propagate wave in a speed less than classical cases. The model showed very good performance when compared to state of art results.
- Numerical analysis and modeling of Steel/concrete composite members using innovative techniques,
- Modelling of cracking in reinforced concrete structures,
- Soil-Structure interaction: Dynamic analysis,
- Using computer software to examine different transportation solutions/scenarios,
- Modelling flow and hydraulic structures through the Litani river,
- Dynamic behavior of tall buildings using numerical analysis,
- Modelling flow and hydraulic structures through Bisri river,
- Numerical analysis for soil structure interaction,
- Modeling, design and control of mobile robots,
- Enhancement of vehicle handling dynamics,
- Modeling and analysis of parallel robot architectures,
- Classification of 3T1R parallel manipulators,
- CFD simulations for energy and fluid flows,
- CFD study of Ultra-Violet Germicidal Irradiation (UVGI) systems,
- Simulating harbor loading/unloading facilities towards equipment efficient utilization,
- Investigation of conjugate heat transfer problem including melting process and presence of natural convection.
Researchers in the Faculty of Engineering show their interest in these topics by conducting research and reporting the outcomes in prestigious international and national journals, magazines, symposia, conferences and meetings. More than 18 publications were reported during the last two years.
The research topics conducted under this theme are very wide and diverse. The faculty staff are continuously developing new topics and activities under this theme. An important research plan is concerned with several topics in robotics. For instance, the design of redundant and complex robotic platforms, the modeling and type synthesis of two-translational spatial parallel robots and the modeling and type synthesis of parallel cable driven robots. Another research direction consists in the application of CFD to the study of mist cooling systems and also to the comparison of Ultra-Violet Germicidal Irradiation (UVGI) performance with different ventilation regimes.