IPE is an approach to teaching and learning that brings together students from two or more professions to learn about, from and with each other in service of enabling effective collaboration. Its goal is to improve health care outcomes through the education of a collaborative practice ready workforce that is prepared to respond to local and global health needs (World Health Organization 2010).


IPE is delivered in 14 weeks and students are divided into 2 groups of students: each group attends every other week, starting from week number 5, according to the course outline presented below.

Groups

GA (Simulation-based IPE): GA1 (Team 1 - 9) - GA2 ( Team 10 – 18)

GB (Roundtable Case-based IPE): GB1 (Team 19 - 27) - GB2 ( Team 28 – 36)

Exposure Phase

Week 1

Survey-Team MCQ-Introduction-Interprofessional Communication.


Team: GA + GB

Week 2

Role and Responsibilities - Ethics & Patient-centred Care.


Team: GA + GB

Week 3

Team Building – Teamwork- Conflict Management.


Team: GA + GB

Week 4

Shared Leadership – Decision making – Survey.


Team: GA + GB

Immersion Phase

Including Team Performance (TOSCE*) + Case Management Checklist

Week 5

Team 01-09: Simulation-based IPE 1

Team 19-27: Case-Based Learning 1

Week 6

Team 10-18: Simulation-based IPE 1

Team 28-36: Case-Based Learning 1

Week 7

Team 01-09: Simulation-based IPE 2

Team 19-27: Case-Based Learning 2

Week 8

Team 10-18: Simulation-based IPE 2

Team 28-36: Case-Based Learning 2

Week 9

Team 01-09: Simulation-based IPE 3

Team 19-27: Case-Based Learning 3

Week 10

Team 10-18: Simulation-based IPE 3

Team 28-36: Case-Based Learning 3

Week 11

Team 19-27: Simulation-based IPE 1

Team 01-09: Case-Based Learning 1

Week 12

Team 28-36: Simulation-based IPE 1

Team 10-18: Case-Based Learning 1

Week 13

Team 19-27: Simulation-based IPE 2

Team 01-09: Case-Based Learning 2

Week 14

Team 28-36: Simulation-based IPE 2

Team 10-18: Case-Based Learning 2

Closure Session (Discussion, Survey & Program Evaluation)

Student Assessment Methods, Schedule and Grading

Student’s Reflection 10%

Team-based Multiple Choices Questions (MCQ) 20%

Case-based Learning (Case Management: 15%; IPE competencies (TOSCE*): 20%; Total: 35%) 35%

Simulation-based Learning (Case Management: 15%; IPE competencies (TOSCE*): 20%; Total: 35%) 35%

Total 100%

* TOSCE: Team Observed Structured Clinical Encounter